I look forward to summer when I can pick my own fresh raspberries. Until then, I will take advantage of the California berries that are available in the grocery stores. I have posted several different raspberry bar recipes. Here is another version using jam and fresh raspberries and topped with a steusel topping. Enjoy!
Raspberry Streusel Bars
¾ cup flour
¼ cup powdered sugar
Dash of salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
¼ cup raspberry jam, with or without seeds
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1-2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
½ cup flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup chopped pecans, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Make crust by combining ¾ cup flour, powdered sugar, salt and 6 tablespoons of butter. Cut butter into dry ingredients till the butter is the size of small peas (may use pastry blender or even food processor). Sprinkle the mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch pan. Press onto bottom of pan using your hands. Bake 10-12 minutes or till just starting to brown.
2. Make the filling by melting the jam in a small saucepan or the microwave.
3. Gently mix the raspberries with 1-2 tablespoons of flour. Set aside.
4. Make the streusel topping by mixing the remainder of the butter, flour and brown sugar using a pastry blender or food processor just till combined and crumbly.
5. When crust is done, remove from oven and using pastry brush or back of a spoon, spread jam over the surface. Top with berries, then sprinkle with streusel topping and chopped nuts.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or till berries are bubbling and topping is brown. Cool completely before cutting.
This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 inch pan.