“Quick” is a relative term when talking about no-knead bread but this is a shorter version than the traditional 12-15 hour no-knead process. This bread comes out with the crusty exterior and soft inside. The cheese adds a nice flavor for Italian food or casseroles. Give it a try and enjoy!
Quick Crusty No-Knead Cheese Bread
1 ⅓ cups warm water
2 ¼ teaspoons granulated yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3⅔ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Add warm water to a large bowl. Stir in yeast and sugar and let sit for 4-5 minutes till mixture begins to bubble a bit and get foamy. Add remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Stir vigorously until all of the flour and cheese is mixed and a shaggy dough forms (You may need to add one or two additional tablespoons of warm water if the dough is too stiff).
2. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and allow to rest at room temperature for an hour (It is okay if it sits longer than an hour). As the dough is rising preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place cast iron pot and lid in oven to heat (I use the Lodge Combo for my no-knead bread).
3. After rising for an hour, pour dough on a large piece of parchment paper which has been sprinkled with flour. With well-floured hands form dough into a round ball. (The dough can be difficult to handle). Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Remove cast iron pot from oven. Pick up ball of dough by the edges of the parchment paper and place in the hot pot. Using scissors, quickly cut the extra parchment paper and place lid on pot.
5. Return covered pot to hot oven (Be careful – the cast iron pot is heavy and very hot!).
6. Cook at 450 degrees with lid on pot for 30 minutes. Remove lid from pot and cook another 15 minutes until brown and crusty.
7. Remove from oven and slide the cooked bread from the hot pot. Cool and enjoy wonderful crusty bread!