Chocolate Caramel Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1 teaspoon shortening
1. Separate egg; place yolk and white in separate bowls. Cover and chill egg white until needed. In a medium bowl Stir together flour, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy. Bet in egg yolk, milk and vanilla until combined. Beat in flour mixture on low speed until combined. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. For filling, in a small heavy saucepan cook and stir caramels and whipping cream over low heat until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
4. Lightly beat the reserved egg white. Place pecans in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in egg white, then in pecans to coat. Place balls 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Press your thumb into the center of each ball.
5. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are firm. If cookie centers puff during baking, re-press with the back of a measuring spoon. Spoon filling into the indentation in each cookie. Transfer to a wire rack. (If necessary, reheat filling to keep it spoonable.)
6. In another small saucepan cook and stir chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat until melted; cool slightly, Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate. Let stand until set.