The blackberries are large and sweet this year and are great when made into jam (Jam has the seeds where jelly only uses the juice). If you have blackberries in your area – use some of them for a sweet, flavorful jam. Enjoy!
For detailed directions on canning procedures, check with your local cooperative extension service or use the Ball Blue Book.
9 cups of crushed blackberries
6 cups sugar
1. Prepare jars by cleaning and heating in boiling water. Heat jar lids in water but do not boil.
2. Combine prepared fruit and sugar in a large saucepan or pot. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, stirring frequently.
3. Add liquid pectin, immediately squeezing entire content from pouch. Return to a boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
5. Ladel hot jam into prepared jars. Wipe rim, Center lid on jar. Screw on band.
6. Process jars in boiling water container for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours Lid should nt flex up and down when center is pressed. Makes approximately 6 (8 oz) half pint jars.
7. Admire the beautiful jelly and enjoy the sweetness of summer!