This is a yummy sweet treat for breakfast or to use as a dessert. Crescent rolls are used on the bottom and top of a cream cheese filling with cinnamon/sugar and nuts sprinkled over the top. When I want it for breakfast, I usually prepare it a day ahead and refrigerate until time to cook, then I can just pop it in the oven and it is ready in about 20 minutes.
Cream Cheese Breakfast Cake
2 packages refrigerated crescent roll dough , at room temperature
2 – 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 egg, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 tablespoons butter (or margarine), optional
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12/ x 15 inch jellyroll pan with nonstick spray. Spread one package of crescent roll dough in the bottom of the pan. Use fingers to seal edges.
2. Beat the cream cheese, egg yolk (reserve egg white for later), 1 cup of the sugar and the vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread over the dough, leaving a 1/4 inch border of dough on all sides.
3. Roll out the second package of dough on a flat surface that has been dusted lightly with flour. Lift and place over the cream cheese mixture. Press the edges to seal.
4. Brush the top of the dough with the reserved egg white. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the top Sprinkle with the copped pecans and dot with the butter, if desired.
5. Bake 20-30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cut into squares.