3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, cloves, cardamom and pepper in large blow
2. Beat butter and sugar in a large blow with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg.
3. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until dough forms.
4. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap an refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes or up to three days.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Please 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to write racks; dust with sifted powdered sugar. Cool completely.
8. Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.