It will be another month or two before our local blueberries are ready. But while we wait for our local berries, here is a recipe that uses fresh blueberries (or you can use frozen berries) that is good as a dessert or as a coffee bread.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Sift together flour and next 3 ingredients in another bowl. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Toss 1 1/4 cups blueberries in 1 tablespoon flour; fold into batter. Pour into a lightly grease 9-inch spring-form pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup blueberries.
4. Stir together 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, sliced almonds, and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.