During the summer, I picked 19 pounds of blackberries at our local orchard. This winter the frozen berries have been wonderful as pies and cobblers. This recipe is a cross between a cobbler and a cake and a very good way to use some blackberries.
1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1. Butter and dust with flour a 9-inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Slowly beat with a mixer to blend, then beat on high speed until creamy.
3. Add 1 cup flour, baking powder and eggs. Stir to combine, then beat on high speed until the stiff batter is well blended.
4. Spread batter into the cake pan.
5. Scatter berries evenly over batter. Sprinkle fruit with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
6. Bake at 350 degrees until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan, 55 – 60 minutes (I used extra berries on top, about 2 cups, so I baked an additional 10 minutes.).
7. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!