Channa Masala or Chickpea Stew
2 tablespoons butter
1 whole onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 piece fresh ginger (about 1 inch), peeled and chopped
1 whole Jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
2 cans (15 ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon garam masala
1. In a large skillet, heat the butter. Add onions and cook for about 15 minutes on medium low heat, or until golden brown.
2. Add garlic, ginger and Jalapeno to onions and stir well. Cook for about two minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook four minutes
4. Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, salt and stir well. Then add the diced tomatoes, chickpeas and garam masala.
5. Cook for about five minutes or until the chickpeas and have heated through. Add some water if a thinner sauce is desired. Add salt for taste, as needed. If desired, top with a squeeze of lemon, a spoon of plain yogurt or cilantro.