This is a quick way to make apple dumplings using refrigerated pie crust to wrap around the cored and peeled apple. Even though the recipe does not use home-made pie crust, by the time you add the apple and drizzle the syrup on top, it tastes great. If you are a fan of nutmeg, add 1/2 teaspoon along with the cinnamon.
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 (15 ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts
8 medium Braeburn (or Golden Delicious or Granny Smith) apples, peeled and cored
3 tablespoons butter
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat, and simmer stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup butter. Set aside.
2. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
3. Cut pie crusts in half, and roll into 8-inch circles. Place 1 apple in center of each circle. Sprinkle each evenly with sugar mixture; dot evenly with 3 tablespoons butter.
4. Fold dough over apples, pinching to seal. Place in a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. drizzle with the liquid syrup mixture previously prepared.
5. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.